The New Year is all about goal setting. Beginning at the beginning is a great way to track your progress. As we talked about in our last blog, making more sustainable New Year’s resolutions is an important ingredient to success. In this post, we’ve got 5 more tips for setting and keeping your healthy goals. Straight from our expert X3 Trainers, these tips will help all you star-reachers and go-getters gain and keep your momentum.
1. Try anything. One exciting aspect about a fresh start is the chance to reinvent yourself. If you were a runner in 2020, why not be an aerial yogi in 2021? The sentiment “work smarter not harder” applies well to the idea that if something isn’t bringing you joy, only results, then it’s time to get smart and try something new. It’s important to experiment and understand the full-circle benefits of new activities. Take kickboxing, for example: it’s a high-energy caloric killer, and it comes with the added benefit of developing self-defense mechanics.
“I love to teach and be involved, which is why I came back to train. I keep the classes fun. We move a lot, burn a lot of calories, but we also develop self-defense tactics so that they can always have them just in case.”
2. Take small bites. Figuratively, we mean. Build momentum by giving yourself instantly gratifiable tasks. When you start with easy, attainable feats, the more strenuous ones become less daunting. If you can do it in 15 minutes or less, do it now. The minute you cross one thing off a list, the more likely you are to keep going, and you’re more likely to stick with it long-term. If time is an issue, consider quick, HIIT-style activities that you can blast through in 20 minutes. Eventually you’ll become a natural and time will be easier to come by.
“Seeing it finally click for people, finding their own fitness path, is the greatest reward of this job. We offer so much at X3 Sports so that you don’t get bored with fitness. I feel like a lot of people come to the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) side not to compete but to use MMA to stay fit and healthy. Then they find that we also offer other things like weight training and circuit training via Fast Track and Power Track, so it provides a lot for people to find something to stay healthy not just for the short term but for the long term as well.”
3. Ask for help. Many of us don’t like asking for help because we don’t want others to see us struggle. We want to appear put-together and in control. But trying to do everything on your own is a recipe for wasted time and teeth-grinding frustration. Asking for help along your fitness journey (or with any other goal you set) is one of the best ways to succeed. Whether you’re interested in attending a class or taking the next step with personal training, our X3 coaches can help you reach your goals with encouragement, guidance, and expertise.
“I like working with people one on one. Every person I get to work with is a new challenge as far as what are their goals, what motivates them, and what are the obstacles they need to overcome. When they accomplish something I feel like I’ve accomplished something too.“
4. Thank yourself. From the insightful words of Snoop Dogg, you should thank you for believing in you and doing all that hard work. Encouragement feels good coming from loved ones and workout buddies, but when it comes from a sincere place at the bottom of your own heart, you’ll notice a difference in motivation. Quiet negative thoughts toward yourself by practicing gratitude, celebrating wins, and avoiding comparisons to others.
“We always encourage positivity. Some days are tough, but if you can recognize your hard work and your progress, you’ll be much more likely to keep going. I love helping people become stronger, fitter, and better, and it’s a lot easier when people believe in themselves.”
5. Find the science behind it. There’s a notable difference in memorizing muscle movement and understanding the anatomical craft behind proper adjustments. Fitness education is vital for those committed to improving their fitness. For example, our yoga instructors work with you to address pain points and how muscle and joint interaction matter for good technique. Take the time to explore cause and effect to understand why certain movements matter, and see the stronger results that come when you master that understanding.
“My favorite part of teaching is breaking down the techniques. My ability to do so is one of the things I pride myself on. Because when it clicks that look on peoples face is that ‘Oh, that’s why things are done that way,’ that’s what I love.”
– Aaron Taylor
2020 was the year we learned to adapt. Let 2021 be the year you apply that flexibility to all aspects of your wellness. X3 is here to help you accomplish your goals to make working out seem like anything but work.