In this post, I will share some of the most valuable fitness tips I have encountered from the competitive fitness arena with you. It is my hope to motivate and inspire you to get started on your fitness goals during this New Year. Don’t dream your life, live your dreams! This is your year to be fit and on fire! Challenge yourself to do things this year that you did not think were possible.
Here are my top ten motivational tips to help you accomplish your fitness goals in 2015:
1. Create a vision. Your destiny is at your fingertips. Once you have planted the seed of a fitness lifestyle in your mind, water it and believe. Never stop believing in your dreams.
2. Set goals. Why is this goal important to you? What would you give to accomplish this goal? What will excite you so much about this goal that will keep you coming back? How will things be different or better for you once this goal is achieved? Imagine what you will look like when this goal is achieved, and go for it!
3. Eat clean. Treat food as fuel, or energy for your body. If you consume more fuel than your body needs, it will be stored for later use as fat. Personal trainers can help you understand how much energy in the form of food your body needs to function, as well as give you enough fuel for your workouts. Eating clean can begin as soon as your next meal!
4. Exercise consistently. Success is a journey. You may be surprised to know that you already have what it takes to accomplish your fitness goals. We are all given one hundred and sixty-eight hours in a week. Our choices about what we do with our time affects whether we accomplish our goals or delay our success. Be sure to include working on your fitness goals in your lifestyle as a regular habit. Inconsistent effort leads to inconsistent results. Things will not always happen when you want them to happen. Nevertheless, you can always control the amount of effort you put toward your goals. Hard work and consistency will get you where you want to go. Stay on your program, follow it through, and finish what you start
5. Be Positive. Being positive, learning and growing from your fitness experiences is essential to your success.
6. Overcome obstacles. There are times that will be difficult on your fitness journey and there will be setbacks. If you fall off your exercise plan, cheat on your diet, or fail to accomplish your fitness goals, keep trying again & again. It is not the end. Success is built on a succession of failures. Remember that nothing is impossible. Obstacles are only as big as you make them. No matter how hard diet and exercise is, never, never quit! You can always choose to start the day all over again
7. Deal with negativity. There is no such thing as negative energy. There are people with negative attitudes who may criticize you, tell you that you can’t do what you are going for, or try and sabotage your efforts at living a healthy lifestyle. Don’t listen to them! Negativity is best ignored while you focus on your fitness goals. If there is an idea that is helpful to your growth embedded in someone’s negative communication style, take the pearl of wisdom and leave the rest behind. The only limits you have are those created by your own mind.
8. Enlist social support. Surround yourself with positive people who are supportive and encouraging of your fitness goals. Exercising with friends is a wonderful motivator to make sure you actually exercise!
9. Take group fitness classes. Taking group fitness classes is an excellent way to get started on your fitness journey. There is a sense of comradery when you take group fitness classes and you get to know others in class. If you are not there, people notice! The social support from participating in group fitness classes can assist you in accomplishing fitness goals.
10. Try Personal Training. Personal training helped me lose 40 pounds after having two children, decrease my body fat by 10%, and firm up my target areas. I know that personal training can help you accomplish your fitness goals, too. A personal trainer introduces an element of motivation and accountability that is an excellent addition to group fitness classes and can help you accomplish your goals far more quickly than exercising alone.
I wish you great success on your fitness journey! This year is going to be your best year ever!
Masters level Fitness Coach
National Association of Sports Medicine Personal Trainer
National Physique Committee Bikini Competitor
Certified Yoga instructor